Sunday, August 23, 2009

Solo 7

I planned to visit the Eastern Shore airports today, KRJD, KESN, KCGE. Conditions on the Eastern Shore were marginal when I took off, but I was expecting improvement by the time I arrived, or maybe they would be better than reported, as has happened to me before. I also planned to turn around if I wasn't comfortable with the conditions.

I noticed that it was hazy as I climbed in the pattern at KFME, not great visibility, but OK to proceed. I left the pattern toward KANP and I decided to turn around if by the time I passed the drag strip I couldn't see the East River. I picked up the East River and continued the flight. As I approached KANP, I decided to turn around if I couldn't see the far shore of the bay. I picked up the far shore, including my usual landmarks at Kent Island and beyond, so I pressed on.

I arrived over Kent Island, checked in with ATC as clear of the SFRA, then switched to KESN tower and ATIS. At least I thought I had the ATIS frequency. After a minute of not hearing anything, I checked the frequency and saw that it was right. I fooled with the intercom system, checked the frequency again, and discovered that I was off because it's so hard to read that dim radio frequency in the bright sunlight. I had a 9 where I should have had a 4. I fixed it, and then the ATIS reported 1000 foot broken ceiling and ILS approaches in use. That did it. I turned around, called ATC and asked to return early because of poor conditions at my destination, got cleared for return to the SFRA, and returned to KFME.

I did three landings at KFME and called it a day.

No comments: