Sunday, May 11, 2014

Occoquan Bay National Wildlife Refuge

Having been to Mason Neck twice, I decided to try the other side of the bay: Occoquan Bay National Wildlife Refuge. If there are eagles and ospreys at Mason Neck, they must be across the bay too. An Internet search turned up several pages describing birding outings there.

So I drove there and parked. Within a few minutes of starting to walk, I saw the first of several platforms for osprey nests. There was a pair of ospreys in the first nest, but I couldn't get a clear shot. I kept walking and came to a barrier across the road with a sign stating the area was closed because of nesting eagles. This was the best shot I could get of the eaglet from behind the barrier.


Bald Eaglet
I turned around and found another path toward the bay. When I reached the shore, I saw this osprey. These birds are so much easier to photograph than eagles, and I love it when I can get sunlight streaming through the feathers.


Osprey
 As I walked along the shore I saw more of them, or maybe it was the same one sometimes. I did eventually see at least four of them at once, all flying around a field.


Osprey
 I think this shot is the best of the bunch. She (I think it's a female) flew right over me, low, and I managed to get the eye and feathers in sharp focus.


Osprey
Ospreys eat fish almost exclusively. Here's one with dinner. Well, there's not much left of the fish, so maybe this is just dessert.


Osprey with Fish
 Here's one last shot as it flew overhead.


Osprey
It was hot and I wanted to get out of the sun before I sunburned, so I started heading back to the car, disappointed that the eagles I'd seen flying in the distance never made another appearance. I came across a woman looking into the woods. When I looked to see what she was looking at, I managed two shots of this eagle before it flew away.

Bald Eagle
So it wasn't the most productive of photo walks, but I got to scout a new park and it's definitely worth a repeat visit.

No comments: