Sunday, July 13, 2014

Monument Valley

Several years ago, I visited Monument Valley as a side trip while visiting Arizona. When visiting southeastern Utah recently, I wanted a second chance at photographing Monument Valley. I have better camera gear: I think I've gotten better at photography. We stayed in the same place, Goulding's Lodge, but this time it was in the heat of summer instead of the cold of winter.

On the way there from Moab, we stopped at Goosenecks State Park in southern Utah. It was mid-day so the light was awful, but here are a few shots anyway.

Goosenecks

Goosenecks

Goosenecks Panorama
The depth of this canyon, and the steepness of the cliffs, were very impressive. If you look closely, on the horizon Monument Valley rock formations are visible.

We proceeded to Monument Valley and checked in to the hotel. After dinner, we went out for a drive to see some of the countryside as the sun descended.

Mitchell Butte
 
Here's Mitchell Butte from another angle, processed with Nik Silver Efex.
Mitchell Butte
As the sun went down, I shot the Eagle Mesa.
Eagle Mesa
After returning to the hotel, I sat on the balcony and shot as the sun went down.
Monument Valley
I kept shooting even as it got dark.
Monument Valley
I woke up early and caught the sunrise.
Sunrise in Monument Valley
Later that morning, we drove the scenic loop.
East Mitten
West Mitten
Totem Pole
Monument Valley


The Mittens
No trip to Monument Valley is complete without the iconic view down the highway, taken at a pull-off near mile marker 13.
Monument Valley
Having made this trip in winter and summer, I prefer winter.

No comments: