Saturday, January 3, 2015

Horseshoe Bend

During a recent trip to Arizona, I spent a couple of nights in Page. While there, I stopped by Horseshoe Bend of the Colorado River. Given that it was cold and a little cloudy and near the end of the day, I expected the place to be quiet. No such luck. There were hundreds of people there; the parking lot was full, including a few tour buses.

There's a steep hill to climb from the parking lot. The trail is loose sand, like walking on a beach. At the top, there's no real clue that the river has cut such a deep canyon, just a descent through more sandy trails. There's really no sense at all until reaching the cliff edge. And what a cliff it is. I don't have a fisheye lens for my camera, so I resorted to a panorama taken with my phone.
Horseshoe Bend
Just as with other canyons on this river (Grand Canyon, The Goosenecks), there are lots of places to get right to the edge; you can kill yourself by being careless. There were people on every rock, taking pictures, looking into the canyon. It was very cool.


No comments: