Saturday, April 4, 2015

Ospreys Everywhere

Another nice morning, another walk in the refuge. A family of deer crossed the road in front of me on my way to the shore, but it was too dark for usable shots. I heard the typical osprey calls all morning. They were flying all over the place, but not really fishing. The wind was pretty stiff; maybe that had something to do with it.

I got a few glimpses of eagles, but nothing noteworthy. Both nests were occupied, each with a parent in the nest and a mate nearby.
Bald Eagle Deep in the Woods
Ospreys flew by me on several occasions, circling me, checking me out.
Osprey in Flight
 This one and its mate had a few sticks and I think they were planning to nest, but the tree looked like a poor choice.
Osprey Hanging on in Stiff Wind
And here's the result of one more encounter.
Osprey Stares at Me
The bird watchers were out in force, walking around with scopes on tripods. The team of bird banders gave up early because of too much wind.

No comments: