Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Conowingo Dam Season

It's that time of year again. The eagles and photographers congregate at Conowingo Dam in November. I jumped the gun and went on October 31 because I've seen reports on Facebook that the eagles are already showing up and the weather was just gorgeous that day.

I left early to get there before the crowd. No luck. There were at least 50 photographers there when I arrived, but at least the parking lot wasn't full. Mornings by the water there are frequently foggy and this one was no exception.
Fishermen and Birds in the Morning Mist
As I waited for the mist to clear, I took a few shots of the rocks on the far shore. I could just make out the eagles beyond all the gulls.
Bald Eagles on the Rocks
There were only a few eagles sitting in the trees by the parking lot. In fact, there wasn't much action this day.
Lazy Bald Eagle
There were a few flyover events, but nothing especially remarkable worth posting here. Shortly before I left, I was lucky enough to capture a sequence with this bird.
Bald Eagle with a Big Fish
And no trip to the dam is complete without a shot of the photographers.

Photographers at Conowingo Dam
And I'm looking forward to a return trip later this month if the weather cooperates on days that I have off from work.

No comments: