Sunday, February 28, 2016

Bald Eagle Convention at Occoquan Bay National Wildlife Refuge


I've visited the refuge a few times this year without much luck finding anything to photograph. The forecast was for a nice warm, clear morning, so I tried again today. It was simultaneously the most rewarding and frustrating visit I've had in a long time. Rewarding because there were eagles everywhere. Frustrating because they were difficult to photograph.

As soon as I got to the waterfront, I started a pattern of seeing eagles in trees about the moment they decided to fly away. I missed shot after shot because of branches or they were flying away from me. I approached a shoreline eagle nest and was surprised to see a juvenile sitting near an adult. The adult was clearly a member of the nesting pair and the juvenile was clearly in the adult's territory. After about five minutes of me maneuvering for a clear shot through the trees, the adult started vocalizing and the juvenile flew away. The adult was joined by its mate for a few minutes, then it returned to the nest. So there's some behavior I've never seen until today. Farther along the waterfront I walked, with more eagles spooked, and repeat.

Then I saw one sitting in a tree, with many branches obscuring it. I thought, maybe I have a chance. I crept along, slowly approaching, hoping for a clear shot through the branches. Suddenly at least six eagles took flight from a tree beyond the one I was concentrating on, and they flew away from me. I have no idea whether I spooked them, but I don't think so. I kept trying to photograph the eagle I had stalked. It flew away.

I did get some keepers, but they aren't great work. I'll start with the eagle convention on the island in the bay. One of these is a pair, one behind the other, so this is a total of nine, the most I've ever seen in one of my shots.
Nine Eagles
Here's another shot with the birds in the left group; the middle one is actually the pair.

Six Eagles
And here are more shots from this morning.



Mating Pair Defending Territory by Screaming at an Intruder
Juvenile Eagle at Sunrise

No comments: