Monday, January 8, 2018

Frigid

During a particularly cold stretch of days here in Northern Virginia, I checked the weather forecast and it predicted a (relatively) balmy morning temperature of about 20F and clear skies for the next day. So I planned to go to OBNWR. I got up, got ready to go, looked outside and saw stars, and then checked the temperature. 8F. Could that be right?

I put on layers, went to the car, started up, and headed to the refuge. I looked down to see the thermometer in the dash: 5F. Really? I got to the refuge and parked and checked the temperature again. -2F. Now I'm thinking it's lying. It can't be that cold! The forecast was for 20F. Could the forecast be that wrong? The thermometer must be wrong.

I got out and started walking. Yeah, it was cold, but I had dressed well for it. On the way in, I had spotted an owl in the gloom, perched in a tree near the road. I walked toward the spot where I had seen it.
Barred Owl
It was so dark that I had to set my ISO to 3200 and I probably should have gone to 6400. Setting the ISO with that long lens mounted is awkward. I need one hand on the right side of the camera body, using my thumb to move the wheel. I need my other hand on the other side, holding the ISO button down while adjusting. And I need my eye to the viewfinder so I can see the illuminated ISO number change as I set it. All while the heavy lens hangs down. And I did it with my heavy gloves on. Back to the photo: I saw the branch in the way, but it was so dark that I couldn't tell whether it was in front of or behind the owl. Well now I know. Lightroom did OK reducing noise, but this was clearly a bad shot that I'm only including because it's so rare that I see any owls.
White Throated Sparrow
The most abundant bird of the day was the white throated sparrow. They were everywhere. But not much else was around. I was just about to leave; the cold was getting to my feet, when I passed this nest and saw the eagle peeking out. It's mate was nearby, deep in the trees, partially obscured, not worth photographing.
Bald Eagle on Nest
 They showed no sign of flying, so I moved on. And I found more sparrows.
White Throated Sparrow
OK, this visit was an exercise in trying to keep my hands warm without much wildlife to photograph. The cold metal of the lens foot (which I use to carry the camera/lens combination) sucked the heat from my hands right through my gloves. At least I got to see the bay completely frozen over. There were two flocks of geese huddled together and I could see no open water. Cold and almost empty-handed of photographs, I headed to the car. I drove the wildlife loop to exit the refuge and turned a corner and saw these eagles right next to the road.
Bald Eagle Mating Pair
They were in a tree near the one that contains their nest. I was able to park the car, get out (staying behind the car), and shoot for several minutes before they finally flew away.
Staring at Me
This is the first time I've ever had an eagle take flight where the initial leap was right toward me. They seem to go out of their way to show ass when they take flight.
Flying Away
Now about the cold... I surely felt it, but I didn't think it was terrible. It seemed warmer than other days when I've been out in temperatures in the single digits. Then I heard the weather report: record cold was recorded at the airport: -1F. I guess my car thermometer told me the truth.

No comments: