Friday, May 25, 2018

Beautiful Morning at OBNWR, Came for Birds, Found Turtles

Spring is turning into Summer and I'll probably take a break from visiting the refuge for a while. It gets hot and full of bugs and the birds that I like are harder to see behind all of the foliage. But today was beautiful and I have the day off and I made one more trip before the heat really sets in.

The eagle nest near the shore was occupied with a single eaglet, and the parents were on their usual perch above.

Looking Bored and Alone, Ready to Fly
Looking to their Right
I think the one on the right of this photo is the female; it's much larger than its mate.

I was disappointed by the lack of much action while I proceeded along the shoreline. Well, there was action, but it was heard, not seen. Ospreys are busy, herons were flying around, geese too. But the smaller birds were too far away or obscured to get anything useful.

I made it to the second eagle nest and found that the eaglets are much larger than last I saw.
Two Eaglets
These two will be flying soon. On my way out, I found this snapping turtle on the road. It's smaller than some that I've seen here, and he/she stopped and allowed me to photograph it. In the shade I had to crank my ISO. I also had to keep back beyond the minimum focus distance. I definitely had the wrong lens for this and the next two turtles.


The darkness meant I was shooting at F4 and 1/500 and ISO 1000 and still I had to process the photos because they were dark. The closeness and wide open aperture made for a razor thin focal plane.

Farther along, in a darker area along the road, I encountered another snapping turtle that had dug a hole in the sand and had its rear hanging over the hole. It seems late in the season to be laying eggs. There were many empty egg shells strewn around, so I think that nest either hatched its eggs or some predator got them. It was way to dark to photograph and there was tall grass obscuring the turtle, so no photos.
Spotted Turtle
Finally, this small turtle was on the road near the parking lot.

No comments: