Thursday, August 16, 2018

Athens

Ancient Greece, Athens, the Acropolis, the Parthenon. I've heard about them my whole life. I finally got to see Athens and the Acropolis.
The Parthenon
 It was hot. It was crowded. It was worth the trip. Visitors were not allowed inside and there's a lot of restoration work underway. The crane and scaffolding definitely diminish the view.
The Parthenon
 It was impossible to get a shot without a lot of people in the way.
The Acropolis
 The Acropolis has very steep, high walls.
The Lights are Coming On
After visiting in the morning, I went to a nearby hill as the sun set. I was joined by hundreds of other people who were there to watch the sun set and the lunar eclipse that was visible that night.
Full Dark
These last few shots (above and below) were an exercise in experimentation and patience. I was trying to travel light, so I left my tripod at home and used a Gorillapod. The camera and lens combination was pretty heavy, so I set it up with the base on the ground and the legs splayed out horizontally to steady the camera. This meant the viewfinder was only inches from the ground and I had to lie down to look through it. This made focusing and changing settings kind of tough. I was glad for the flashlight I brought. I used autofocus and manual exposure mode. After a few test exposures, I used mirror-up mode, with a cable release, to shoot. And I had to keep adjusting my shutter speed as the light changed.
Lunar Eclipse Early Phase
 The moon rose with the eclipse already underway, and there was a definite tint while the moon was in the penumbra. Shooting the Parthenon was a breeze compared with the moon. The Parthenon hasn't moved in 2000+ years. And the exposure settings didn't change after the sun was down and the lights were on. The moon, however, was constantly in slow motion and getting darker. I had to recompose periodically.

Lunar Eclipse Hides Part of the Moon
And finally the moon entered the umbra, leading to the darkest lunar eclipse I've ever seen. What a stroke of luck that my travel plans placed me in a location where I could photograph this. The only thing that would have made it cooler is if the moon had risen, eclipsed, behind the Parthenon. Sadly they weren't in the same field of view.

No comments: