Monday, September 2, 2019

W&OD Trail

Normally I write this blog only about photography. But today I did something I've wanted to do for a long time and I want to write about it.

After several years of letting my bike gather dust, I decided to start riding again. I took a look at my old bike and decided that it was time to start over.

I did some research, asked some friends who ride, and settled on a model and bought it. Then I started the long slog to get into riding shape. Those first few rides were pretty short. After a month or so, I started exploring routes and settled on a regular 22 mile route from my home to a park at the mouth of the Occoquan River. Eleven miles out, same route back. And there's a big climb (big for me anyway) out of the park so I was getting some lung burning workouts. More importantly, I was getting into shape. I'm never going to be fast or ride for dozens of miles at a time, but I'm reaching my goal of exercising more.

It's Labor Day weekend; I decided it's time to do the long ride that I've wanted to do for a while. I put my bike in the car and drove to Purcellville. My wife drove away, leaving me there at the trail head for the W&OD trail. Because I started at dawn, I mostly had the trail to myself and even startled a family of deer. The miles flew by, probably at least partially because the trail descends from 600 feet toward sea level. I flew through Leesburg. I started running into traffic in Herndon: pedestrians, joggers, more bikers. Reston was crowded. So was Vienna. Finally I reached the other end of the trail in Shirlington after 45 miles of riding. From there I took the 4 Mile Trail to the Mount Vernon Trail next to the Potomac River. I rested for a while at Gravelly Point to watch airplanes, then rode to the Pentagon, where I had arranged for pickup.

My total mileage was 52.9, with breaks in Leesburg, Reston, Falls Church, and Gravelly Point. This is a personal record, exceeding my previous record by about 3 miles. Man it was fun, and I'm expecting to pay for it tomorrow with sore thighs and a painful ass. But it was absolutely worth it.

No comments: