Friday, November 26, 2021

Conowingo Dam

It's November. It's Thanksgiving Day weekend. It's time to visit Conowingo Dam.

Sadly the weather did not cooperate. The forecast called for cloudy skies, clearing about dawn, cool temperatures, and breezy conditions starting late morning. They got it right, except the wind picked up early. The uncomfortable conditions and rough water (preventing much fishing) led to my earliest exit ever in the many years that I've made the trip.

The parking lot was unusually empty, only about half full. The number of photographers was way down from almost every visit I've ever made to the dam.

I picked my favorite spot on the rocks near the water and there were hardly any other photographers or fishermen nearby. The rocks were especially slippery because they were covered by a thin layer of dirt turned to mud by the overnight rain.

I got very few shots because there really wasn't much close action. There were lots of eagles flying around the far shore, even some interesting eagle chases, but nothing close enough to photograph. Nevertheless, I did get a few keepers.

Bald Eagle in Sunlight with Dark Background

Bald Eagle with a Fish

Juvenile Flyover Before Sunrise

No comments: