Sunday, April 7, 2024

Solar Eclipse Tomorrow!

The weather isn’t cooperating; I’ve had to make a drastic change to my solar eclipse viewing plan.

I planned to watch the eclipse in Texas. I got a hotel reservation. My wife had an event in Nashville. I planned to pick her up on my way from Virginia to Texas. But the weather didn’t allow that. By the time I got to Nashville, the forecast for nearly all of Texas along the path of totality was cloudy and possible rain.

I reached Nashville on Friday. The eclipse is on Monday. I checked forecasts for other locations on the path of totality. There were several possible openings, but New England was looking very clear. We cancelled the hotel reservation in Austin and made a reservation in Ithaca, NY, and Lake Placid, NY. We picked Ithaca because it’s reachable in a (long) day of driving (and my wife went to college there). We picked Lake Placid to get us closer to New England. We stayed in Ithaca on Saturday night, and now we’re in Lake Placid for Sunday night. Of course the weather isn’t cooperating again. I was hoping to go to Burlington tomorrow morning, but now it looks likely that clouds will approach by 2PM, just as the eclipse is starting. So now the plan is to go to Newport in Vermont.

No comments: