Sunday, March 22, 2015

A Nice Walk

I had a nice walk in the park, with a few bird sightings. This was mostly to get some exercise and work with the new camera. The bald eagles are still tending their eggs or hatchlings.
Bald Eagle in Nest
This parent hides in the nest, with only the occasional head shot possible. I can hardly see it in the viewfinder because the Fish and Wildlife Service blocked the road to establish a buffer zone and I had to keep my distance. It's so tiny in the picture that I can't tell that the bird is there except for the way the yellow beak stands out against the bark or sky background. This is an aggressive crop. The ospreys were also out, building nests (with really long sticks) and hunting. This one stared at me.

Osprey Stares at Me
And this one flew right over. The sky was overcast and the light was poor, but I was able to recover a lot of detail in post processing. I'm always a sucker for light shining through feathers, and this shot has a lot of that in the bird's tail.

Osprey
I like the new camera, a lot. The high ISO performance is sweet and the higher pixel count lets me crop a lot before getting unacceptably soft.

No comments: