Monday, May 25, 2015

Dented Lens Filter Ring Repair

Several months ago, I was out with my daughter and I had the camera on a tripod. She was minding the camera while I climbed a hill. I asked her to put the camera/tripod down, make sure it's stable, then join me. She didn't make sure it was stable. It went over and I watched the camera hit the pavement, lens first. It was my 300mm lens. A quick inspection showed the glass intact. I thought I'd dodged a bullet.

Months later, I was shooting aircraft with that lens. It was a mid-day flyover on a hot, humid day. It was so bright and hazy that I could barely get the exposure right; it was too bright. I decided I needed a polarizing filter for that lens, so I ordered one.

The filter came in and I discovered that I couldn't mount it to the lens because the ring was dented from the fall. This sent me looking for information of fixing the dent. Some sites recommended a solution involving creating a wooden cradle for the lens, then using a wooden dowel and a hammer to tap the ring while it rests in the cradle. I didn't like that idea. Others recommended using pliers to bend it back. I didn't like that idea either. Others recommend getting it professionally repaired. I decided that would be my last resort.

The solution that I did like, and tried, was to get a tool that is designed for the job. The $36 turned out to be well worth it.
Neewer Camera Lens Vise
I ordered the tool from Amazon and tried it out. I was afraid to use too much force; I might ruin the lens, which still works, just to get to use a filter. So I used it a little at a time, with a lens cloth on the glass to protect it from the hard metal of the vice, which can touch the glass while moving the vice around. Eventually I was able to get a filter seated. It doesn't screw on very far, but all I care about is getting it seated enough to not fall off.

No comments: