Saturday, May 16, 2015

Occoquan Bay National Wildlife Refuge

I went to the refuge this morning hoping for a look at the eaglets that I knew must be pretty large by now. The nest by the water was disappointing. The leaves are in and they obscure the nest enough to make it very difficult to see much of it. There was an eagle perched in a tree nearby, too far away and too still to be interesting.

The other nest also had an eagle perched nearby, still and obscured. I was about to give up when I noticed movement within the nest. There are (at least) two eaglets in that nest. I was unable to get clear shots of any of these birds. Here's what this tree looked like.
Parent Eagle Babysitting Juvenile in Nest
 The ospreys were also there, and much more active. I have so many osprey shots that I only shoot when I get something pretty close and clear.
Osprey


No comments: