Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Cherry Blossoms at the Tidal Basin

It's that time of year again. We had an incredibly warm February, which accelerated the blossom formation. Then there was snow and frigid cold in early March, which damaged a lot of the flowers before they could pop open. After the park service adjusted the peak bloom prediction for the warmth, and then again for the cold, peak bloom finally arrived this week. I had an event downtown in the evening and was able to squeeze a visit in. Between the time crunch and gathering clouds, I didn't have a lot to work with. I favor my Nikon 85mm f1.8 lens for this subject, and that's the only lens I brought. Given the changing light conditions with the clouds and walking in and out of shade and changing the direction in which I was shooting, I was constantly on the aperture wheel to adjust the exposure. I was selective in my shot selection, came back with only about 50 photos, and had a lot of fun with it. As I've gotten more experience with photography, I like to think that each year I get a little better with this subject. Now sometimes the conditions don't cooperate (last year I shot in drizzle), but as I compare my work from previous years, I definitely like the progression in each sequence. Here we go...
Lincoln Memorial under Gathering Clouds

Cherry Blossom Close-Up

Another Close-Up Shot

Brief Rays of Sun on the Tree

In Full Bloom along the Tidal Basin

Dramatic Skies Contrasting with Blossoms

Just a Bit of Fleeting Blue Sky

With the Old Post Office (aka the Trump Hotel) in the Background

The Jefferson Memorial across the Basin

One More Sunny Shot before the Sun Disappeared for the Day

No comments: