Saturday, March 4, 2017

Cooperative Heron

During my many visits to Occoquan Bay National Wildlife Refuge, I've frequently seen Great Blue Herons. These large birds are usually quite shy, unwilling to sit still when I approach along the path. And I find them boring, so I rarely photograph them. But today, this one was sitting in a tree and surprisingly just stayed there as I got closer. In this very unusual encounter, I was able to get very close, allowing a series of remarkable photos. Here we go...
Standing on One Foot
 It's common to see birds standing on only one leg. I presume it allows them to draw one leg into their feathers to stay warmer. It was pretty cold on the morning when I made these photos.
One Big Eye


What's That On Your Beak?


Is This Bird Bald?


Staring At Me



No comments: