Sunday, August 6, 2017

New Lens

I've wanted a lens with a longer focal length for a long time. After reading lots of product reviews and blog posts with lens evaluations, I settled on a Sigma 500mm f4. I usually stick with Nikon lenses, but the Nikon version of this lens is 60% more expensive, while the write-ups with extensive tests report that there is essentially no performance difference between the two lenses. So I took the plunge, forked over the money, and went to the refuge today.

I saw turkeys and eagles, but they were obscured or too distant to photograph. I walked my usual path along the shore, heard an osprey, and found it in a tree.
Osprey with a Still Wriggling Fish
Most of my walk was uneventful, with only the many rabbits keeping me company. I stopped at one of the drains where I've sometimes seen deer and herons inland. Nothing. I turned around to look at the bay and spotted this guy swimming right toward me.
Beaver
When it saw me it turned away, but I got a few shots off before it got away.

Impressions: I knew it would be heavy. It is. It acquires focus pretty quickly, but it takes a second or so for stabilization to get to work. It's tiring to carry it and to hold it on target, but it's easier than I feared it might be. My biceps will probably be sore tomorrow.

No comments: