Sunday, August 27, 2017

Theodore Roosevelt National Park

During my recent road trip to Wyoming, I stopped at Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota. This place is high, dry, and nearly devoid of people. I suppose I could say that about the entire western part of North Dakota, which seemed like an endless land of hills, dry brown grass, and oil pumps.

I concentrated on wildlife photography during my brief visit.
Reclining Dirty Bison

Feral Horses

Feral Horse

 I came across this solitary bison along the road. He cooperated by engaging in several behaviors. He apparently had lots of itchy skin because he repeatedly rubbed his head and body against a small tree.

Rubbing His Head Against a Tree

Rubbing a Tree

More Rubbing

Bison Close-Up

Long Tongue

 He stood there for a while alternately sticking his tongue in his nostrils.

Tongue

Tongue
There are several prairie dog towns in the park. I stopped and watched and listened to these very active animals.

Prairie Dogs at an Entrance

Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog

No comments: