Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Occoquan Bay National Wildlife Refuge

Well I'm back home after my long trip and I managed to get out to the usual spot for some exercise and photos. These turkeys were busy running away from me. I think this flock is from a clutch or two, as they all seem to be about the same size, stay together, and are accompanied by a pair of adult females (whom I didn't get in this photo). They never seem to fly.
Turkeys
Great Egrets are sometimes around, but they are very timid. I sneaked up to this one by keeping bushes between me and the bird, and as I tried to get closer, it flew away. What big feet.
Great Egret
This deer stood and stared at me for quite a while as I tried to approach, keeping bushes between us. I only saw the fawn after they ran into the woods, not knowing that I'd actually gotten a few shots that show the fawn back in the shadows.
Deer with Fawn in the Shadows
The ospreys are still here, but I expect them to leave soon. It's not obvious from the photo, but I shot this one from almost directly underneath, looking straight up, with the bird looking straight down at me. The big yellow eyes and sneering beak are a frequent sight here.
Osprey Close-Up
Showing It's Wings

No comments: